Hire International Students

Hire International MBA and MS Students

International students at the Gabelli School of Business are considered a significant asset to our intellectual community. The school sends admissions officers abroad to Europe, South America, the Middle East, and Asia each year to ensure that our graduate student community is comprised of top global talent.

Hiring an international student requires a slightly greater investment of funds and paperwork than hiring a U.S. student, but the rewards can be great. International students have the advantage of having lived—and sometimes worked—in multiple countries, gaining cultural flexibility and insight. They are especially interested in playing a role in the global business landscape, and they appreciate the value of achieving greatness in the face of obstacles, such as mastering a second or third language and adapting to a new culture.

The Gabelli School’s Career Development Center offers specialized support for employers who are interested in hiring international students.

Facilitating International Hiring

International students at the Gabelli School typically hold F-1 (foreign student) visas/statuses and in some cases J-1 (exchange visitor student) visas/statuses.

F-1 Visa

Upon completing one academic year at the Gabelli School, international students with an F-1 visa/status are legally allowed to seek full- or part-time internship opportunities as part of the U.S. government’s Curricular Practical Training (CPT). The employer is only required to provide an offer letter outlining the terms of employment, and it is the student’s responsibility to have the CPT authorized by the University.

Thanks to the U.S. government’s Optional Practical Training (OPT) program, students with an F-1 visa/status in Gabelli School graduate programs can work in the United States for up to 12 months before or after graduation.

In addition, F-1 visa/status students in the following MBA and MS programs qualify for a 24-month extension of their post-completion OPT time because their degrees are covered by the government’s Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (STEM) umbrella:

After OPT ends, students will need an H1-B visa to continue employment at which time employers will need to process paperwork to pursue the H-1B visa sponsorship. Such visas remain valid for an initial period of three years and can be extended once for another three-year period. Sponsoring an H1-B visa is typically a simple and cost-effective process. Contrary to popular belief, the employer does not need to prove attempts were made to recruit U.S. citizens and permanent residents first.

J-1 Visa

Graduate students with a J-1 visa/status have access to work authorization through the University’s academic training program. Employers do not have to file any forms or pay fees on behalf of students with J-1 visa/status, as academic training authorization is granted at no cost by Fordham University’s Office for International Services (OIS). This process is straightforward for employers; it requires a letter from the employer stating the employer’s name, supervisor’s name, work site address, the student’s dates of employment, position description, and salary.

This authorization can be granted for employment before or after completion of the student’s program of study and allows a student to apply knowledge obtained in an academic program to a practical work experience. The employment must be directly related to the student’s field of study. OIS will work with employers to ensure that this requirement is met.

International Student Hiring Guidelines

  • Internships (CPT on F-1 Visa)

    • Timing Considerations: Up to 40 hours per week after the student has completed one full academic year (two full semesters) but has not yet graduated
    • What must students do? Secure University-authorized CPT upon receiving an offer
    • Are there any costs to employer? NO

  • Part-time or full-time temporary employment (OPT on F-1 visa)

    • Timing Considerations: All OPT must be directly related to the student’s major area of study. Students may participate in OPT in two different ways: Pre-completion OPT (after completing one full academic year): Students must work part-time while school is in session. They may work full-time when school is not in session. Post-completion OPT (after graduation): Students may work part-time (at least 20 hours per week) or full-time.Students can receive up to 12 months of OPT, unless they are in a STEM-designated program that is qualified for a 24-month extension of post-completion OPT.
    What must students do? Apply for OPT with the USCIS. This must be done in the final semester, at least 90 days before graduation, for post-completion OPT.
    Are there any costs to employer? NO

  • Full-time employment (Employer-sponsored H1-B visa)

    Timing Considerations: Initial term of three years that can be extended to six years
    What must students do? Collect all documents that the employer will need to arrange for visa sponsorship and submit them to the employer on time.
    Are there any costs to employer? Approximately $1250 – $4,500

Hiring International Students – Clarifying Common Misconceptions

Pursuing H1-B visa sponsorship is a time-intensive process

Fact: H1-B is a non-competitive visa classification. In other words, employers DO NOT need to actively recruit U.S. citizens before filling petitions on behalf of international employees.

Hiring international students is costly

Fact: CPT and OPT authorizations require NO funds from employers. Typically, H1-B sponsorship applications cost less than $5,000.

Extensive legal expertise is required

Fact: A company’s in-house legal team can easily prepare documents for submission to the USCIS; there is no need to hire outside counsel.

Additional Resources

Office for International Services

Fordham’s Office for International Services (OIS) provides comprehensive services for international students in all nine Fordham University colleges and schools, including the Gabelli School of Business. This includes information on visas and seeking post-graduate employment.

Visa resources

Please follow these links to learn more about the post-graduation employment visa types that employers can pursue to hire international students. The CDC team is available to answer any questions you may have about visa types and student eligibility.


Contact & Location

(212) 636-7796

140 West 62nd Street Suite 116
New York, NY 10023

Service Hours

M 9am - 5pm
T 9am - 5pm
W 9am - 5pm
TH 9am - 5pm
F 9am - 5pm